In this exersise, you'll be using the Leadership Development Plan - Template to create a plan for your own development. By breaking it down to tangible timebound goals you can evaluate your progress over time. It has also been proven that writing something down makes it more likely that it will happen.
We can’t do everything! Please select 3-5 areas of development. Don’t forget to continue developing your strengths, rather than only focusing on the areas you’d consider weaknesses.
It might be helpful to reference the Six Capabilities of Social Leadership and refer to specific goals that you've identified.
Work through the different boxes of the plan starting with:
- Goal. What do I want to be able to do better?
- Success Criteria. How will I recognise success? How will I review and measure my improvement?
- Actions. What actions will you take to achieve your objectives? What methods will you use? What is the smallest thing you can do now to make progress on your goal?
- Timeframe. When will you do what? Short term, medium term, long term? Include dates.
When following up on your plan, update the ‘Status’ field:
- Status. Notes about progress made. Date of a status update?
After filling out your plan, take a moment to do a final reflection. Note down:
- Who can help you stay on track with your plan? Maybe a manager, mentor, colleague or friend? Sharing our goals with others makes us much more likely to follow through with them.
- What does success look like? What can you do now to ensure this happens?
- What does failure look like? What can you do now to prevent or mitigate that?
- What rewards and celebrations can you treat yourself with, for sticking with your own development?
- Who will benefit from your development? Why are you doing this in the first place? You might like to revisit the Golden Circle exercise (if you’ve done it) here as a reminder of your ‘why’.
The Leadership Development Template is a basic tool developed by Clore Social Leadership that is meant to be adapted depending on the needs of the participants. It’s used for most of our programmes and for coaching.
Some additional resources that might help you set and fulfill your goals: