Through coaching, leaders can bring others along on a lifelong journey of learning of development. "Coaching creates leaders who create leaders,” says Jeremy. “It has the capacity to create solution-finding communities whose capability goes way beyond the sum of its parts. It can break the mould related to a model of power and influence that encourages isolation in thinking and fear of failure. It has the potential to deliver lasting benefits rather than quick fixes, as it is an intervention that takes a ’whole of life’ view. With the future of work being one where success depends on relationship building and on shared endeavour, coaching can play a major part in supporting wellbeing as well as being a positive influence on the mental health of the coachee.”
Witnessing the transformative effects of coaching on his clients, says Jeremy, is extremely rewarding. “The longevity of coaching benefits is often ignored. What is satisfying is bumping into clients months or years after coaching and hearing them talk about how they are still practicing the use of the ‘thinking and emotional muscles’ that they had discovered during their coaching. A successful coaching programme can lead to benefits that have a positive influence over a considerable period of time, even a lifetime.”
Considering taking your next step on your leadership journey through coaching? We asked Jeremy to summarise how to approach and what you can expect from a coaching relationship in which you play a full part:
- Enjoy the time and space to allocate to yourself, without any distraction
- Appreciate what it is like to be listened to, without judgement
- Expect to think and feel in equal measure and to reflect on meaning and significance – it can be hard work, but so fulfilling
- Expect to get a clearer understanding of what makes you tick and how that influences your environment
- The value of being supported while exploring territory that will need courage and commitment
- The strength to change habit that are not serving your purpose
- An appreciation of the power of choice
- …and all throughout increasing awareness and personal responsibility for turning thought to meaningful action.
Dr Jeremy Hinks is an accredited professional coach with the International Coach Federation, a member of the Association of Coaching and a founding member and coach with Know You More. He is passionate about people development, and is a coach for our Find a Coach pilot initiative.