Good leadership is essential for social change
21st century social challenges require leaders who can meet the trials of a changing world.
Everyone is a leader
Leadership is not restricted to those with a manager title, it’s for formal and informal leaders alike. The truth about leadership is that we're all doing it, but we're not all doing it to our full potential.
Leadership development is a lifelong journey
As our teams, organisations and challenges change, we need to change and evolve with them in order to have the impact we want to see. Social Leadership is a set of skills and behaviours we can all develop.
Leaders grow leaders
By collaborating, supporting and challenging one another, leaders can have a collective impact across the social sector.
The six capabilities of social leadership
Being a social and ethical leader require certain capabilities. The Social Leaders' Capabilities Framework outlines the attributes, behaviours and skills required for successful social sector leadership. The Capabilities Framework illustrates how and what these skills and behaviours look like in action. Having a framework enables leaders to reflect and assess their current skills. It empowers them to identify leadership gaps and plan their personal and professional development.
- Relates to others with authenticity
- Influential and confident
- Clear expression of mission and values
- Agile, able to modify approach and reframe based on feedback
- Empowers others to take on new challenges and training
- Role model to others, pursues continuous self development
- Cultivates an environment where others can excel
- Exhibits a growth mindset, with a readiness to learn
- Continuously seeks organisational improvement for the people they serve
- Reflective and utilises complex information
- Delivers on outcomes
- Resourceful and strategic, considers wider systems and context
- Cause passionate, committed to the mission and people they serve
- Strong moral compass
- Wide civic responsibility, engages in debate and activities
- Looks within and beyond sector to find solutions for social change
- Establishes and grows collaborative partnerships and relationships
- Generously shares information, assets and time
- Builds trust through seeking and giving feedback
- Invites inclusive contribution, valuing skills and knowledge, respecting diversity
Courageous Change Maker
- Courageous and drives change
- Responsible risk taker
- Develops innovative solutions with and through others
- Curious, has foresight and asks why